Sunday, April 15, 2012

Green Day - Jesus of Suburbia

Let's go back in time... I was riding with my friend Elliott in his car, and he had a burnt copy of the new Green Day album (which at the time was American Idiot) and he played me this song, and I was in love.  You see, this album was critically acclaimed because it was considered to be a "rock opera," and to have a punk song last that long was pretty epic.  I have been listening to Green Day since about 1994, and in my opinion, each new album they put out seemed "softer" or "more poppy" than the last. So I was pretty pleased to here such a good album that had depth and maturity.  Whatever, let's talk about the record, it is a 10" record, which is slightly smaller than a normal size LP. It is the same size as the old 78s, but plays at 33 1/3 RPMs. Side B has the Jesus of Suburbia "rock opera" on it, while side A has a live version of St. Jimmy.  Here is my opinion again, but there was another "opera" song called Homecoming, which I think should have been on the other side.  Perhaps I am just biased because these are my two favorite songs from the album, but whatever. The vinyl is solid yellow, but if you hold it up the the light you can see swirls in the vinyl... I actually just noticed it, and it looks pretty cool.

Jesus of Suburbia
Homecoming (I know it's not on this record, but I like it...so there!)
To get the best experience, I suggest listening to the whole album.


No comments:

Post a Comment